July 2, 2013

日光東照宮。。。

Last weekend I went to Nikkō and visited Tōshō-gū shrine.  Tōshō-gū is a Shinto shrine dedicated to Tokugawa Ieyasu whose remains are here.  Tōshō-gū (built in 1617 and later expanded upon) is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and by far one of the most beautiful shrines I've ever seen.  Despite the bad weather, I still enjoyed the beauty of this quiet and peaceful place.















And then the downpour:




If you come to Japan, do not pass up the opportunity to visit Tōshō-gū.  You will be in awe and if you go, I hope the weather is sunny so you can see all the gold sparkle.

This blog prompted me to catalogue all the UNESCO World Heritage Sites I've visited in Japan, so...so far...
  • Tōshō-gū
  • Himeji-jō
  • Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome
  • Itsukushima Jinja
  • Nijō-jō
  • Kinkaku-ji
  • Kiyomizu-dera
  • Byōdō-in
And though I've never officially been there, I do see Fuji-san all the time.  Not a bad list.  I hope you enjoyed this pictorial visit to Tōshō-gū and if you get the chance, get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment