March 13, 2013

日本語。。。

I had yet another breakdown regarding my progress through (or lack thereof) the Japanese language.  I mean WTF?!?!  Is it just me?  Is my brain just too old and stupid?  Is it this hard/frustrating for everyone?

My recent brush with emotional instability resulted due to yet another switch of teachers.  See I go to a volunteer language class.  As much as I wish I could pay someone to surgically insert this language into my brain (or at the very least hire a private tutor), I am unfortunately not that well-to-do.  I can't even attend any other types of classes because they don't work with my schedule.

I know I don't study as much as I should and that's part of the problem.  Right now it seems like the world is sitting on my plate and the last thing I want to do is study.  I have, however, started to study more than I had been in the past.  (I dare someone to do a job as exhausting as mine and even attempt to learn anything at the end of the day.)  I'm not trying to make excuses for myself.  I want to learn, really.  Different methods work for different students and I'm trying to work out what works best for me.

At the volunteer language class I figured I have had almost every teacher there.  That's not normal as some people have had just one teacher for a long long time.  Maybe I don't fit anywhere.  I am an odd language learner.  I am not a beginner and I don't know if I'm intermediate.  The most frustrating thing is that as soon as I get used to one teaching style, they give me a new teacher and we have to start all over again.  I feel like this is impeding my progress.  So I asked what happened to my teacher (praying she didn't leave because I am such a difficult student).  They said she would be back in April and I am thinking that I don't really want to go back until April either.  This may sound childish but I really liked my old teacher.  My new teacher is okay but I miss my missing teacher and I don't want yet another teacher.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  I really would love to hear a nice encouraging story because I don't feel so great about learning this language right now.  Maybe someone persevered despite all odds?  Anything to shake off this negativity.

1 comment:

  1. I once asked the train conductor,"does the express train stop in Fusa?",and he said,"get off at the next station and get on the first train that comes by, and you will get there faster than if you wait here for a local." At least I think that is what he said; I was just hoping for a "yes" or "no" answer.

    ReplyDelete