November 17, 2012

A vegetarian foodie in Japan...

Last night was crazy here in Tokyo.  It rained all day and night.  I was afraid there'd be a flood; however, I woke up to sunshine.  Currently, the wind is howling outside my window.  I need to do laundry but anything I hang outside will blow away so I have a few clothes out there on clips.

I am still sick.  My ears are clogged and I break into coughing fits but I have to be getting better.  I have to be.  I've been talking myself out of leaving the house.  I am well stocked.  There is nothing I need so if I left I'd just be feeding a want.  That's not better than trying to get well.  On the menu today, I have Thor and The Avengers and whatever else I feel like watching to keep me inside and happy.

I also haven't updated the food section of my blog in a while so I thought it's definitely time to do that.

Delicious salad from Paula Deen:


Trying to find a way to use some artichokes I bought (besides sitting there eating the whole jar and I came up with this:


Delicious but probably not very healthy!

Last weekend my friends and I went to a cheese festival in Harajuku.  There was cheese sampling and cheese for purchase.



I may or may not have gone a little crazy:


Afterward we ate at Devil Craft pizza.  The owner is American from Oklahoma and the restaurant specializes in Chicago deep dish pizzas and craft beer.

I had this:


So delicious!

I also found out that Starbucks here has Cranberry Bliss Bars:


Unfortunately, it didn't taste quite as good as the American version.  Something was a bit off about it.

I also happily found a Freshness Burger not too far from my home in one of my favorite shopping areas.  I had been wanting to try Freshness Burger after reading about their veggie burgers.

I went for tofu:


I wish I had gotten beans as this was just a heated tofu patty on a bun.  Not so great.  Next time...beans!

Finally, I tried some odd salt chocolate.


I think Dars is quite possibly the worst chocolate on the planet.  It's waxy and vaguely resembles good chocolate.  However, the salt chocolate is quite edible.  I actually liked it.

My favorite hot drink in Japan is Suntory's Honey & Lemon:


I've only seen it in one vending machine in all of Tokyo.  (And yes, my American friends, this drink and many others comes out of the vending machine hot.)  Fortunately, the vending machine is right next to my work.  Unfortunately, everyone else at my work likes it too so sometimes it's gone.

Anyway, that's all from the food front.  I hope you are well and warm wherever you are.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your fridge right now.
    Talk about yummy looking chesses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've eaten my way through about half that cheese already. Hey it's been a week!

      Delete