October 27, 2012

A vegetarian foodie in Japan...

Hello!  Today is quite miserable.  There are clouds blanketing Tokyo but as of yet no rain.  Who knows if it's coming.  It's raining.  Meanwhile, I'm safe inside sipping tea.  Because I'm Arizona born I'm not particularly fond of cold weather.  However, I sometimes wish it was always cold enough for hot tea.  This weekend I'm hiding from Halloween (no costume, no money, pure sadness).  So, I did my cooking.

I was lucky to find cornmeal at Nissin which they call "Corn Grits" so I've been having much fun with it.

I made these lovely corn muffins (no cornbread for me as anything perfect comes in a muffin cup).


To go with this:


I lovingly topped the chili with chopped onions and healthy Greek yogurt.  Japan does have sour cream but it's just not right.

For breakfast today (continuing with the cornmeal kick):


I chopped up my pancakes to check for doneness.  I'm a horrid pancake maker (if you believe that).  My children would always cook pancakes for me.  (I miss being spoiled by them.)  Anyway, I've found I have to treat pancakes like other baked goods and just walk away man.  Three perfect pancakes.

Now I'm chowing down on Rajma.


It's total comfort food and warming me up as I type this.  I made this myself but I can honestly say that I was never a fan of Indian food until I came to Japan.  Weird right?  Now I crave naan like you wouldn't believe and I find myself cooking a lot of Indian food.  Next week I'm going to try my hand at Chana Masala.

I hope you all are having a lovely weekend.  I'm bundled up and inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment