September 8, 2012

A vegetarian foodie in Japan...

Today was a productive day.  I scoured the shelves of my local supermarkets (and one not local import market) looking for ingredients for my recently found recipes.  I was 90% successful.  The one ingredient I didn't find was celery.  I've bought it here before so maybe it will appear again (hopefully soon).

Anyway, I've not really started cooking for the week.  This is just a teaser. 

I made some delicious tofu:


I had some trouble finding some of the ingredients but I think with my substitutions it was good.  A bit too oily but that can be remedied if I make it again.

Next, this salad is a weird combination of ingredients but it's actually quite delicious. 


I omitted the bacon but you can throw it in there if you so desire.  Also, I didn't use this to top a lettuce salad.  One final change is I added just a little honey to the dressing, a delightful change.

Are crepes dessert or breakfast food?  I've always eaten crepes for breakfast but here in Japan anything sweet you might think of as a breakfast food (ie. pancakes, waffles and crepes) is a dessert.  Today I had them for dessert and tomorrow they will be breakfast.


Big changes occured where this recipe is concerned.  First of all I don't care for ricotta and even if I did I've never seen it here.  I used softened cream cheese and I mixed it with not only the lemon peel and honey but also some of the leftover lemon boiling water.  These crepes are to die for.  If I can't blog anymore it's because I am too fat having eating an offensive amount of these crepes.

That's it for the food preview.  More to come soon!  I hope your weekend is starting off stellar.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I linked it. Didn't you see it? The link is on the word tofu.

      Delete
  2. Just catching up on your blog- LOVE the veg food posts!!! Great work!! Glad you went to Rose Bakery. it's the best! Hows life in Japan?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredibly difficult at first but I am starting to get adjusted. Oh man Rose Bakery was so good! We had brunch there (or more like late lunch). I have already decided to go back!

      Delete
    2. P.S. - You're invited over for a meal anytime!

      Delete