September 1, 2012

A vegetarian foodie in Japan...

Sorry my posts lately have been all food and clothes.  Apparently, that's all I do these days I eat and wear clothes.  I happen to be doing both right this very moment.

First I made me some delicious taco salad:


Then some Breakfast Quinoa:


I love that it looks like a giant chocolate chip cookie.  :)  I used what I thought to be brown sugar but it ended up being way too sweet.  Impossible right?  I'll cut down the sugar next time.  Also, I used dried blueberries.  This recipe makes 2 servings.  If I were you, I'd double it.

I made pretty much the best vegetarian chili in existence.  Sometimes, I buy things in Japan even if I have no immediate use for them.  Weeks ago I bought a can of chili beans (¥400) just because it reminded me of home.  I finally decided to make something with them and since it was raining yesterday, I figured what better time for chili.  The only problem was I didn't want to go to the store so I invented a chili recipe using what I had here and I'll tell you how to make it.  But first, a photo:


1. Reconstitute sun dried tomatoes in boiling water.  Cool and then throw them in blender or food processor using just enough water to cover them.  (You can use oil packed if you want just make sure you rise off all that oil.)

2.  Fry up some onion.  Add some garlic.

3. Dump in tomato mixture.

4. Dump in a can of chili beans and some of the liquid.

5. Add your favorite chili spices.

6. Simmer until delicious.

Believe me this was the best chili!  If I had cheese I would have topped it with cheese but instead I topped it with some jalapeño slices and sour cream.  So good!

It must be cooking with sun dried tomatoes week.  I also made some Penne with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto.


This was better the second day.  Seriously, don't eat it the first day.  I mean it.  Don't do it.

Finally, I made the best recipe on the planet.


I used more dressing than the recipe called for because I simply love dressing.  Also, I didn't have agave or cilantro (I found spinach).  In fact, I was afraid to even add sugar (as a substitute) because the dressing was so good already.  In the end I added just a pinch of sugar (literally a pinch). 

Well my weekend is almost over.  I hope yours went by more slowly than mine did.

3 comments: