August 6, 2012

Settling...

When I arrived in Japan, just slightly over two months ago, I was plagued by immense tooth pain.  Prior to leaving the US, I had two crowns put on since I was about to lose my insurance.  My mouth did not react well to the temporary crowns and also disliked the permanent ones.  The pain often had me in tears and I was taking four Advil three times a day.  If I forgot or the medicine started to wear off I would be literally crippled by pain clutching my face hoping that it would do something to alleviate the immense pain I felt.  I was afraid that this would last forever and I wouldn't be able to function normally without multiple daily doses of Advil.  Slowly, the pain faded.  I dropped the dosage to once a day.  I noticed today that I sometimes haven't taken Advil at all.  This is the mark of things settling.

When I arrived in Japan, I lived in a hotel for two weeks.  It was awful.  Of course, it was nice having the place cleaned for me daily but if you've never been in a Japanese hotel, they certainly lack what most of Japan lacks...space.  I was crammed into a hotel.  In the morning, I was crammed into the Asakusa line.  I got an apartment.  I got furniture.  I started with a bed and a small chest of drawers and I added the minimalist items needed to function in daily life: a stove, a washer, a fridge, a fan and some things added for convenience: a desk, a printer, a table.  I look around and it is still very minimal and not like any place I've ever lived but it is my home.  I haven't decorated...I should.  Maybe I will...soon. 

I didn't think that life here will be perfect instantaneously but I have noticed that things have begun to settle even if those things are small and routine.

Please note that I do realize this may somewhat contradict the post I wrote two days ago but I think that's the point.  I'm trying to be more positive about things as having a positive attitude has always been a challenge for me.  Baby steps, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment