August 15, 2012

Misconceptions...

I haven't lived here very long, a little over two months but I want to share some very common misconceptions that many Japanese people have about foreigners.  I doubt this will stop the masses from doing this but it makes me feel better getting it out there publicly.

Common Misconceptions About Foreigners in Japan
  1. "You teach English right?" 

    I know that many foreigners come to Japan to teach with English schools like Nova or Aeon.  Others may come to be ALTs on the Jet Programme or through other agencies.  Regardless, they all have this in common: they teach the English language primarily to Japanese people either in elementary, junior high or high schools or in private offices.  The problem with these jobs is that the requirements for such a position are not very stringent.  Almost always they hire people with a college degree in any subject and they hire people with no formal training in teaching.  This is not such a negative thing because as one of my friends who was a former ALT described it to me he was simply a pronunciation guide.  He was there whenever the teacher needed something pronounced by a native speaker.  This requires no actual teaching.  Knowing what I know about these positions I never wanted to do this in Japan and it irritates me that people believe this is the only job foreigners can do in Japan.  (Note: Not only Japanese people have assumed this about me but other foreigners as well.)

  2. No Japanese

    Another common assumption about foreigners in Japan is that they speak no Japanese.  Granted I am not fluent in Japanese but I can speak some but I need all the practice I can get!  It bothers me when Japanese people (especially in areas heavily populated with tourists) assume I speak no Japanese and skip right to the English.  A friend of mine told me an easy way to combat this is to answer them in Japanese which I do.  You cannot believe how many times I've heard "Oh you speak Japanese!"  Hey, you're in a foreign country; speak the language!

  3. Tourists

    Many people believe I am a tourist just because I am a foreigner.  I don't look like a tourist.  Trust me they are very easy to spot: large backpacks, large cameras around their necks, confused looks (but even I get those) and maps.  Japanese people are constantly surprised when I say 私は東京に住んでいます。I actually say my specific district and drop the 私は but you get the idea.  I don't know why this misconception exists and I wish I could give you more insight into this.  It's weird even after I've said I live here some people are still surprised and ask me how long I’ll be visiting Japan.
I hope this post doesn't offend anyone as that was not my intention.  After all, isn't a blog just simply a catalogue of experiences.  Well, these are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment