August 25, 2012

A vegetarian foodie in Japan...

Hi all!

Just so you know I'm still eating guacamole and drinking milk tea like there's no tomorrow.  Thanks Japan.

I'm also maintaining my Culinary Goddess title.  ;)

So here are some things I whipped up lately:


So I bought a jar of marinated feta at the import market and I've just been eating it out of the jar.  Maybe that's gross to you but it's delicious!  Nevertheless, it seems a waste of the feta.  I needed to do something with it so I made this.  I am about to eat this entire plate.  Well that may be a bit of an exaggeration.  I love partying with myself.  Also, a note from one culinary expert (that's me), always, always seed your tomatoes.  The seed sacks do nothing for any recipe I've ever made and the tomatoes taste much better without them.


Perfect perfect recipe!  I love this and how delicious it is!  I couldn't find grape tomatoes at the store (I prefer these to cherry tomatoes) so I just left the tomatoes out.  Also, I cut the lemon juice and added rice vinegar instead since this is obviously an Asian style recipe.  A definite improvement.


I did not like this.  You are welcome to try it but I don't recommend it.  In fact, I am just angry that I wasted my white beans on this crap.

That's all for now.  I'm currently on the hunt for cilantro and spinach as my local (large) market has neither which is strange.  There's a grocery store by my friend's house that has nectarines (a rarity in Japan and incidentally my favorite fruit) so I may take the bike up there tonight after the sun goes down and look for my greens there while getting my nectarine fix.  Truth be told I am really missing fresh spinach right about now so if anyone knows where to get it, please let me know!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.  My vacation is over soon so back to work I go.
 

7 comments:

  1. Wow! All of that looks so yummy, and I'm not even vegetarian. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha thanks! You know I may be biased but vegetarian food is quite delicious! ;)

      Delete
  2. I would totally eat feta right out of the container.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that feta tomato thing looks delicious!!

    I'm so surprised you haven't been able to find spinach, especially since it's a staple veggie in Japan. Try asking for it? The Japanese word is ほうれんそう (hourensou)

    Speaking of Cilantro, I was never able to find that EVER. I did use dried coriander seeds, which are just the seeds of the cilantro plant (you can find them in the spice rack aisle at the grocery store) and they kind of taste like cilantro without the freshness... otherwise, I had my mom send some of those Badia packets of dried cilantro >.< not as good.. but an ok substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny because I had looked up spinach meaning to memorize it and take that knowledge to the store. I never got around to it and you posted your comment and miraculously remembered it and found it at the store! It might just have been a fluke.

      Also, I know they have cilantro here as they served it to me on my food in a Thai restaurant. I almost went nuts but I still haven't found it at the store.

      Delete
    2. maybe it was just where I lived.. I DO remember cilantro at Thai restaurants in Japan. OMG if you're ever in harajuku, go to Kaffir Lime, it's a great Thai place!!! They have a really good papaya salad :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the recommendation! I often find myself in Harajuku.

      Delete