September 6, 2010

Gyaru...

I've been meaning to write this post for sometime.  I am just getting around to it on my lovely day off.  You should know by now that I am fascinated by Japanese fashion.  The gyaru trend is no different; I am definitely intrigued by it.  Now let me preface this by saying I am not a gyaru (aka gal).  I compare my style to theirs and see no similarities so for now I will continue to call my style J★Style until I can figure out what the hell it is.  My Japanese friend, Sakiko tells me the (Japanese) magazines I read are for ladies in their 20s and 30s so at least I'm age appropriate.  (And thank goodness I look younger than I actually am!)  Some are popular among office ladies. 

I think (though I am definitely no expert) that gyaru fashion is popular amongst girls in their teens or early twenties.  I imagine that these girls spend an ungodly amount of time on their appearance much like American teenagers.  They always look so flawless.  They have perfectly manicured nails, big full hair and prominent make-up.  There are a couple reasons that I don't think I could pull off this style. 

1. I look young sure but not that young!
2. My hair refuses to gain any sort of height and/or fullness.
3. I already wake up at an ungodly hour to at least be put together before I leave.

Nevertheless, I do adore this style that graces the pages of magazines like Popteen, Jelly, Egg, Ageha, Popsister and Edge.

Here are some pics:

No comments:

Post a Comment